Friday, December 10, 2010

A few lessons learned today.

I had decided this morning that I was not going to let Griffin's crankiness get in the way of me leaving the house. So, I got the car packed with all the baby gear one needs when leaving the house for more than 10 minutes. I don't think I ever realized that you'd have to pack enough stuff that probably wouldn't even fit in a carry on luggage bag! Well, alas, off we went, to do some Christmas shopping. Surprisingly, my little guy made it halfway there and fell asleep. Why surprisingly? Because usually he screams until we reach our destination. Once we arrived at the mall, I put Griffin in carseat in the stroller. Now on to my lessons learned...

1) Griffin can stick his lower lip so far out you could probably sit one of those "Elf On A Shelf" elves on it. We were in Old Navy, buying jammies when he decided to wake up. I looked down to a very pissed off little boy with his lip hanging to his chin. Solution, Moby Sling!! He sat there with his lip extended, with tears in his eyes while I got myself situated with the moby. In he went. All was well. Off to a few more stores. I then realized I had to use the restroom. My next lesson....

2) Be careful when using the toilet with the moby on! Why? Because when I wear mine, I tie the extra in the back, which hangs down about 2 feet. Hmmmmm, we ALMOST had a wet moby. I realized just in time! The next time I went, in Target, I remembered to tuck in the extra.

3)While in Barnes and Noble, shopping for little books for Griffin for Christmas, I came to the realization that this will be the only Christmas I will be able to shop for him while he is with me. Next year he will be 15 months old by Christmas time and I'm sure, grabbing at any toy he can manage to reach. Ah, I can't even think that far ahead!

And my last lesson.........

4) Breatfeeding in the front seat of a two door cavalier isn't all that hard. Griffin was hungry and I still needed to tackle the lines at Target. So, breastfeeding in my car seemed the best possible answer. I got him from his car seat, put my diaperbag/purse on my lap, put Griffin on top of said bag, and there we were, nursing in a Target parking lot. I was going to try and make it to the dressing room, but didn't want to carry a screaming baby through the store. Plus, I left the car running and Christmas music on. We had ourselves a nice little setting. Downside....... No matter where you park during the holiday, there are always cars around and watch for street lamps. Next time I will be more observant.

So all in all, today was a day of lessons learned. It wasn't a horrible trip. We were actually out of the house for 3 hours. The longest without the accompaniment of another person. I would say it went well!

No comments:

Post a Comment