Friday, December 24, 2010

Sappy and totally Cliche....

Oh the holiday has arrived and it's everything that I hoped it would be.  Well except being surrounded by family, but we brought that upon ourselves when my husband and I decided not to travel for the holiday.  We wanted to start our very own traditions for this special holiday with our new little guy.  I wanted to wake up in my own bed and walk down my own stairs (or wake up on my couch with Griffin in his swing) to a tree surrounded by presents.

Over the last few months, I was wondering how Christmas would go.  Everyone says that with an infant, the first Christmas doesn't really matter because he or she won't remember it.  Well, that's what pictures are for and when traditions start.  I can say "we did such and such for your first Christmas, here is a picture to prove it."  My husband and I bought Griffin presents that he'll use throughout the year.  Yes, most of them he has no use for currently, but soon he will need something to develop his motor skills.  We got stacking cups and board books, toys for teething and a light and sound maker.  Of course we also purchased a bunch of clothes as well.  When it came to the wrapping of such gifts I found myself wondering if I'd be a horrible parent by putting most of the clothes and a few toys in one big box.  Considering the fact that I'd be the one wrapping and unwrapping, I didn't think this would be a huge issue. 

On to my sappy section.  Tonight, Christmas Eve, while I was making dinner, my husband had Griffin in the computer room listening to and watching various videos of nursery rhymes and kids songs.  I found myself a little choked up to think this was my life.  I have a wonderful husband sitting in the other room with a very healthy three month old little boy listening to tunes of my youth.  I have a lit Christmas tree with loads of presents underneath.  I have a house decorated for a holiday that a few years ago didn't mean as much as it does today and will tomorrow.  I was singing along to the Itsy Bitsy Spider and Row Row Row Your Boat while mixing together Meatloaf.  I never would have thought, this time last year, this is where I would be.  It's kind of surreal for me.  I'm a Wife.  I'm a Mom.  I'm Santa.

And last but not least.... my cliche.  I could not have asked for a better present this year.  I have my happy, healthy little family.  There isn't enough wrapping paper in the world that could cover this gift.  I am content.  I am overjoyed.  I am excited for all the years to come of Christmas fun!

Griffin's very first Christmas.  He wasn't too thrilled with the hat, but endured it just for us.  I'm sure he'll thank me for this picture when I'm showing his girlfriend in later years. 

No comments:

Post a Comment